Monday, April 20, 2015

PRIVACY

When it comes to New Media, usually privacy and confidentiality issues come up. Facebook is a big example. No matter what you post online and even if you private it to your friends only, and you delete it, there is always a chance it will stay online forever. People can easily save your images, screencap anything you say and possibly use it against you. This also applies to the rest of the internet. Therefore many times, there is a saying to be-careful what you post online, cause what you post online stays online and there are many terrible people on the internet. Also, I remember a time when I wrote my name on Google images just to see what pops up, photos from my Facebook, Tumblr, and Instagram would show up. I was a little creeped out but this would apply to anyone who is big on social media with their full name out there. 

Another privacy issue will be on advertisements. Lets say I look up clothing on American Eagle or Warby Parker, I end up seeing ads for the products I was looking at on the side of my Facebook page. Obviously, I was being tracked by these companies as I browse around the store. Also, when people put in their addresses and credit card numbers, browsers and trackers can easily save that information if you never clear your cookies and etc, thus a bigger invasion into our privacy and confidentiality.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with the issues that you mentioned. I also tried googling my name before and I was surprised to see so many search results that related to me. My twitter and Facebook pages were present on google search. The internet is so powerful today that we really don't have much privacy. It makes me think that the internet is not safe since our internet activities seem to be tracked by these companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! I totally agree with the privacy concerns you bring up about Facebook. In fact, I recently learned there are tools online that can batch-save entire photo albums from Facebook, from anyone that is added to the person initiating it. That's just scary, and definitely a big big concern.

    ReplyDelete